Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Year's resolution

I don't typically make New Year's resolutions - not because I think I'm particularly exceptional, but because I'm just not all that moved by the institution. This year, though, I'm making an exception. I've made two resolutions. One isn't germane to this blog, so I'll not bore you with it. The other, though, is relevant, in that it is the blog. I HEREBY RESOLVE that I will more regularly update and maintain this space, for the entertainment of the three or four people who actually read what I write.

I'm doing something that I think will help me keep this resolution. I've started a Tumblr account, which is going to be a part of the blog in a similar fashion as my Twitter account. Here's how it's going to break down in terms of content (at least until I figure out something better, if such a thing exists):
  1. Twitter: This will be updated the most often, mostly because I can do this from my phone. I'll just vomit out my brain here in 140-character increments. The subjects will be typical of my life on Twitter - mostly sports and things that annoy me.
  2. Tumblr: I'm still trying to figure out how this medium works. I think what's going here is going to be similar to Twitter, but longer - anything that I can't compress to 140 letters, but can't expand to 500 words. Also there'll be a bunch of pictures and videos, because I really like the multimedia aspect of Tumblr. This will change a lot as time passes, I think. But for now, that's how that will go.
  3. Blogger: This will change in two ways - first, the shorter posts will, for the most part, be moving over to the Tumblr. Some may show up here as well, but we'll see about that. Second, the regularity of posts will (hopefully) rise drastically. I won't be doing what I did when I first started it (that is, posting 5 or 6 times a day - that's for the Tumblr for the most part), but I will be updating this blog on a daily or semi-daily basis. It will be concentrated on the Mets and Arsenal almost exclusively, but also on baseball and football (the soccer kind) in the larger sense.
So in short, my Twitter won't change much; the Tumblr will mostly be media and medium-length writing; this blog will be longer-form stuff. My blog posts will all show up on the Tumblr, and all the Tumblr posts and blog posts will be on the Twitter, so everything should be accessible from there (though you can still check the sites themselves, because there'll be non-post changes occasionally). More changes may come as time passes and I figure out better ways of doing things, but if this all works out hopefully it won't take too much alteration.

Thanks for reading, following, and all that. If you're reading this, you're in at the ground floor of what will hopefully eventually be some kind of writing career. I hope everyone else gets as much out of it as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment