Friday, June 4, 2010

An executive decision

I've made one. I'm tired of hearing about the not-perfect game. I'm tired of thinking about it. I'm tired of talking about it. I was going to write an enormously long post about it for today, but it's just annoying and there's nothing to be said about it that hasn't already been said. So instead of copying the echo chamber, I've decided not to add to the cacophony.

So consider this my post on the not-perfect game: it's a crime that it happened. He should have made the call, and the umpires should have conferenced to make sure the call was right. When they didn't, Bud Selig should have invoked the "best interests in the game" clause and declared it a perfect game; there is no "dangerous precedent" to set because this has never happened before and likely never will again. It is cut-and-dried 100% certain proof that instant replay should be expanded in baseball - as my brother said, "It's tradition to have the 'human element,' but it was also tradition to use the Pony Express to deliver mail and we got rid of that nonsense."

I may post later on instant replay, and on the recent overall incompetence and jackassery of MLB's umpires. I feel pretty strongly on both, and I think I have something creative to say. But on the subject of Armando Galarraga's newfound fame, I think everything that needs to be said has already been said.

No comments:

Post a Comment