Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I think I want to see this movie: Scott Pilgrim

I don't read comic books. It's not because I hate them or anything, I just never got into them. So basically every time Hollywood sees fit to make another comic book movie, I go in blind, with no expectations based on the original story. This helps me enjoy them a lot more, I think - whenever I see a Harry Potter movie, I'm a little disappointed by the fact that they don't live up to the books. So I understand how avid comic book fans feel.

But I have never read any of the Scott Pilgrim comics, so I have no preconceived notions about the upcoming Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I know nothing about the characters or the plot. I don't know whether the filmmakers are going to do it "right." All I know is what I see in the trailers, and because of that, I think that this might be awesome.
More stuff
Here is the newest trailer for the film.



There's a list of reasons why this looks good. First of all, it appears to fall under one of my favorite genres: the fantasy that takes place in the "real world" with little to no explanation of why all the crazy things that happen are possible. I'd put Lost in this category. The characters all appear to have video game superpowers. Why? I have no idea, and I hope they don't explain it. Michael Cera is the lead, and though many people are Cera'd out, I'm not (at least not totally). Mary Elizabeth Winstead is the female lead (she played Lucy McClane in the latest Die Hard), and she is attractive and hopefully also a good actress (honestly, I don't remember her that well from Die Hard). The top reason, though, is the fact that JASON FREAKING SCHWARTZMAN is one of the villains. That sounds like it's made of awesome. And if that's not enough, it was directed by Edgar Wright. He directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, which were both awesome.

This movie could very well be extremely lame, but based on the research that I've done thus far, it looks like it will not suck. It's coming out on August 13th. Sometime on or after that date, I'll be seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment