Friday, June 4, 2010

Follow Friday: Amazin' Avenue

This week's Follow Friday blog is a good one (well, obviously I think they're all good, or else I wouldn't be recommending them). This week, I'm going with Amazin' Avenue, which is one of my favorite Mets-centric blogs, if not my favorite.

It's a really smart blog that leans toward sabermetric analysis (like most of the well-run teams in Major League Baseball) rather than uninformed gut reactions (like the Mets); however, it's not nerdtastic to the extent that the average reader won't understand what's going on. When I initially started reading I wasn't a stat nerd, but I still found the analysis they give to be incredibly informative and easily absorbed. There was the additional benefit of prompting me to start looking into sabermetrics, which has greatly enhanced my understanding of what the hell is going on in baseball.

The main reason I like it, though, is the fact that it has what I think is the most important thing a blog can provide, which is a community. The regular commenters are intelligent and contribute a lot to the blog, and they have a great rapport with the writers. All-around, Amazin' Avenue is a really good blog.

Suggested posts:
Jose Reyes Cumulative WAR Versus Other Shortstops: This shows how statistics can prove dumb sportswriters wrong for trashing players you like.
What Historical WAR Can Tell Us About David Wright: This shows how statistics can frighten you into thinking your favorite player may have some issues, but he also may not.
New York Mets Look-A-Likes: This shows how there are a lot of people around the Mets organization who look like famous people. Also, AA is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment